Saturday, May 14, 2011

Invasion of the... Carpenter Bees

Every year we get these crazy carpenter bees.  They look just like bumble bees, but they bore into wood.



When they were at their most obnoxious, I was painting some outdoor chairs.  Before I got a chance to put a coat of paint on this chair, one had drilled its little home into the under side.  I got online and read about them and they prefer unpainted wood.  I guess that is why they are at their worst out by our little horse shed.

They seem to have no fear of people and will guard their territory by buzzing right in front of you.  The grandchildren are afraid of them and it just irritates me.  I have never been stung by one, but just in case, we keep a tennis racket around as a weapon. :)


Now, for a little game of "Where's Waldo Bee".  This little bee was staying right with me and was closer than he might seem from the picture.  You probably can't see him, but...



Here he is, right in the middle!

1 comment: