Usually the first fire of the season in our fireplace includes Daryl, but I made the selfish decision to start one while I was home alone. I deserved it, after all. It was cold and wet outside and I had several hours of smocking to get done.
So I wadded up some old newspaper, put the newspaper under my stack of wood, struck a match, lit the paper....
And watched the house fill with smoke.
There was one major detail that I forgot about -- we haven't taken the top off of the chimney. It isn't something I can do by myself because it is terribly dangerous and I leave all of those dangerous things to Daryl. First you get a ladder to get on the roof, then you get a ladder to get on a higher roof, then you take a heavy lid from the top of the chimney. Obviously not something I could do quick enough to save myself from the smoke.
I opened the back door and the kitchen window to air out the house, got the house good and chilly and turned up the heater.
First fire has been postponed!