Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Problem with Burweed

We have pokies in our yard.  Most people would call them stickers, but out here we call them pokies.

I have never had what someone would call a "lawn".  "Lawn" sounds like someone cares for, maintains, waters, trims, weeds, and feeds their grass.  Mine is just a yard.  My challenges are much larger than weeds and tall grass.  If I can keep the log piles, Bobcat ruts, and tire tracks to a minimum I feel like a huge success.  Removing large limbs and moss piles are weekly chores.

A couple of years ago, though, maybe about the time I was planning to have a wedding outside in my yard, I decided that a little more refined maintenance might be in order.  I suggested to Daryl that we put down some weed-n-feed.  You know, just to green up the grass and kill some weeds.  He didn't take to the suggestion very well because of the size of the yard, thus the large expense.   And besides, there was very little grass and lots of weeds.  So we compromised.  I got my yard weeded and feeded in the areas closest to the house.  It really did look better.  I was happy.

Until last year when we had a horrible, terrible, crop of pokies.  They are the kind that have thousands of little lancet-type stickers.  The grandkids couldn't go out barefooted, and even in sandles, they got in your toes.

As the weeds started growing the past few weeks, I noticed that our yard is carpeted in these little plants!  I decided to do some research to find out what kind of menace I was dealing with and find the best way to get rid of it.

I found out that these cute, little, fern-like pokies are called burweed.

And if you use weed-n-feed you will kill most weeds.  And this will make room for more burweed to grow!  ARGHHHH!!!!!

I just hope they enjoy their nice cool morning because this afternoon we are bringing out the big guns:  Ortho WeedBGone.

If this doesn't work, we may have to move.

1 comment:

  1. "Perturbed with Pokies"April 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM

    Did you ever find anything to kill this?? I HATE it!! It has completely taken over our yard!

    ReplyDelete