Sunday, February 26, 2012

With a little help from my friends


On Saturday morning I achieved a personal goal:  I participated in a 5K race!  My time was nothing to crow about at all and when I crossed the finish line I had to sit on the sidewalk for about 5 minutes before I could think.  Or move.  Let me put it this way:  a 5.5K race would have killed me.

In spite of that, there are two things about running the race that I really liked, though.

Four months ago I couldn't run more than two minutes at a time.  I like that I was able to work hard and get better at something.  I haven't experienced that enough in my life, but it sure feels great, and I like it!

I would never have done this alone.  Not the race, and not the preparation.  I'm just not motivated enough to do that.  But with Cheryl and Abbie by my side, I was able to do the hard work to get in better shape.  And then to get up early on a chilly Saturday to jog down the street.  I like that.  

Thanks, girls!  And, thanks to Ben, Brandon, and Jenny for running with us, too!

1 comment: