Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Every year, on my birthday, my mom and dad call to tell me Happy Birthday.  Dad always tells me that he remembers the day I was born.  And I get to hear the story again.  It was on an October day in upstate New York and Dad was pulling his first alert....

I try to remember to do the same for our children and grandchildren.

Ben, I remember the day you were born.  It was a Sunday evening, Pappy and JoJo stayed at the hospital to see you even though he was supposed to preach at church that night.....

David, I remember the day you were born.  It was a Thursday.  At home I thought I was just feeling a little sick, but decided to go to the hospital anyway.  You were so small......

Jackie, I remember the day you were born.  It was a Friday.  I don't think I have ever been happier than the minute I was told we had a daughter....

Jonathan, I remember the day you were born.  We drove 22 hours to Colorado to meet you and when we got out of the van at the hospital Uncle Ben and Aunt Jackie had a snowball fight.....

Lily, I remember the day you were born.  We were so happy to finally meet you and just knew you were going to have the prettiest brown hair and brown eyes....

Daniel, I remember the day you were born.   When you were only a few minutes old, you laid under the light in the nursery and very peacefully looked around....

Bella, I remember the day you were born.  When you were only a few minutes old, you laid under the light in the nursery and started letting everyone know that you were here....

Next week our family will increase by one little boy.  One little wonderful, loved, prayed-for, crazy-haired boy.   Bennett's adoption into Ben and Abbie's family is next week in Texas and we couldn't be happier.

I also remember the day Bennett was born.  It was the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year.   And just like everyone else in the family, Bennett has his own story.

Bennett's story includes another family, Shelly and C.V.  And for this family I will always be thankful.  They have loved Bennett.  Their home has been his home.  He has had aunts, uncles, grandparents, and all the love that brings.  What else can a little boy need but a family who loves him?  Shelly and C.V. talk to Bennett every day now about his mommy, daddy, and big sister.  They are doing what would be so difficult for most of us - they are loving and letting go.   Mama Shelly is a part of Bennett's story.

And for that, I am thankful.
Eli 002.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment