Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chicken Tikka Masala

After eating Indian food with Jackie and Corey in Philadelphia last year, I decided to jump off the reservation and try cooking something totally different.

I did some research online and found out that Chicken Tikka Masala is one of the most common things that newcomers to Indian food like to try.  It has the Indian taste without being overwhelming.

Many of the recipes I found use ingredients that I would rarely, if ever, use again.  Like this recipe from foodandwine.com.  I guess it is the garam masala that seems so obscure to me.  I found it in the ethnic food aisle of Publix, but didn't want to buy it for one recipe.

So, I found another option on foodnetwork.com.  This one  is the recipe I went with.  I already had the coriander and curry, and left out the cardomom pods.  What are those, anyway?  And instead of making the rice with only water, I made the coconut rice from here.  Really yummy!

The red pepper had nothing to do with this recipe.  It was sitting on the counter because of something else I was making.


Believe it or not, this is true comfort food.  Think of it as very flavorful chicken & gravy served over rice.  You should try it!


1 comment: