I finished a project! I love it when that happens!
This project is a dress for Lily. My reason for making it was just so I could have an excuse to sew with some fine fabrics. I used Liberty of London cotton for the dress, Swiss batiste for the collar, and some nice lace as a trim.
While I like the results, and I think she will look sweet in the dress, I'm not sure I will make a dress like this again any time soon. The fabric cost enough that I was hesitant to begin the sewing! You know, you don't want to do a bad job on good fabric! And it is a little frustrating that you can buy a smocked dress for under $40. Most of them are made in China by strangers, not by loving grandmothers, but from a distance you can't tell any difference in the dress.
So, I am happy I did this little experiment, but I'm moving on to less formal sewing. Right now I have a play dress cut out, the fabric bought for another, a lap quilt in the planning stages, and a prayer shawl on the knitting needles.
A garden to till, chicken pens to clean and get ready for baby chicks, clover to cut, moss to pick up, and a house to clean.
I'd better stop blogging about it and Do It!