Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Jurassic turtle


I was headed to town one day last week and as I drove down our driveway, I saw a big, black blob in the road ahead of me.  When I got closer, the blob became a turtle.  (I really need to get some new glasses.)

I quickly turned around, went back home, got my camera, drove back, realized that the card wasn't in the camera, whipped out my phone and 'snapped' this picture of a snapping turtle.  I took the picture from the safety of my truck because this big girl can scoot!  In the short time it took me to go back to the house she had gone quite a ways into the field and was hunkered down trying to hide.  

So, how big do you think she is?  With no perspective, I know you can't tell.  The shell on her back was about 15 inches from front to back and her head was about the size of a softball.

You might have stayed in your truck, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment