Monday, April 8, 2013

The bird news


Late last week I looked out the den window and saw an unusual bird playing around in one of the trees.  It was a beautiful orange and black, and I had never seen one like that before.   After a little search we decided that it was a Baltimore Oriole.
 
 
I think I will go put an orange in the feeder and see if he will stay and bring his family.

 
 
On Monday, Cheryl and I were enjoying a Downton Abbey marathon when were interrupted by a noisy ruckus on the bird feeder.  What we saw outside was almost as interesting as the TV show. 
 
And no one died...
 

Anyway,

a young purple finch was at the feeder with her daddy asking to be fed.  She flapped her wings quickly as she begged for him to put a seed in her mouth.  The dad was happy to feed her a little, but very quickly began to ignore her pleas for more.

 
When the young bird wasn't looking, Dad ran to the back side of the feeder.  She begged a little more and did an amazing thing -- she got some seeds by herself.  At first she just cried with a seed hanging out of her mouth, but then she seemed to get the idea and ate a little.  


As she followed him, Dad continued to walk around the feeder, letting her know that she could do it.  I could just hear him saying, "You've got this!  I'm here for you, but you don't need me to put food in your mouth anymore."

 
And the young little bird flew away.  Not far.  Just on the roof, but she flew.  I like to think that she slept well in her home nest that night.  Confident that she could make it on her own.



No comments:

Post a Comment