Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thankful Thursday


This is how I feel about cutting grass:

Somebody has to clean all this away.
somebody, SOMEBODY
has to, you see
Then she picked out a somebody 
and it was me.
        (paraphrase from The Cat In The Hat)




I have been a grass cutter since I was in the second grade.  Some years other people have had the primary responsibility to keep the yard mowed, but for most years since I was eight, I have been the lawn mowing queen.  Many times I have quoted those lines from Dr. Suess's book.  SOMEBODY has to do it.  Why not me?

I've had some great machines to work with, but none better than the Kubota with the 6 foot deck we use now.  If you don't mind the bumpy parts of the yard and keep the speed pretty high, all of the grass around here can be cut in about 3 1/2 hours.  That's not bad for the several acres that we try to keep well-groomed.

But, just because it is my responsibility to cut the grass and just because I have a great mower, it doesn't mean that I don't enjoy some help.

This week Daryl changed the blades, changed the oil, and did some other mechanical things I don't know a thing about.

Today he cut the grass.

That feels like love to me.  And I am so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment